The Government of Canada has opened a call for proposals for Capital Assistance Funding under the New Horizons for Seniors Program. The deadline to apply is OCTOBER 8, 2010.
Capital Assistance: funding helps non-profit organizations that need to upgrade their facilities or equipment for existing seniors’ programs. This will enable seniors to continue to lead active lives within their community.
- Capital assistance is grant funding of up to $25,000.
- This may include up to $10,000 for replacement of equipment and furniture.
- Projects should be completed in one year.
- Projects should directly benefit seniors.
- The community should support the project and acknowledge its need.
- Eligible Applicants:
- Non-profit organizations that have been delivering community programs and activities for seniors for at least two years.
Eligible activities involve the repair or renovation of existing seniors’ community facilities and/or the purchase of replacement equipment and furnishings.
Examples of eligible activities include:
- Repairs to wells or septic systems, heating and ventilation systems, foundations, roofs, walls, and floors.
- Upgrades such as new insulation, windows, wiring/electrical panels, and plumbing.
- Building code compliance upgrades. Replacement of furnishings and equipment such as tables and chairs, appliances, sport or craft equipment.
By providing funding to non-profit organizations, the New Horizons for Seniors Program helps to ensure that seniors can benefit from, and contribute to, the quality of life in their communities, through active living and participation in social activities.
The Program funds projects that help improve the quality of life for seniors and their communities – from enabling seniors to share their knowledge, wisdom and experiences with others, to improving facilities for seniors’ programs and activities, to raising awareness of elder abuse.
Across Canada, the New Horizons for Seniors Program helps to ensure that seniors are able to benefit from and contribute to the quality of life in their community through their social participation and active living.
For details on the New Horizons for Seniors Program: Call: 1-(800)-277-9914 or log on to: