Anderson warns of Liberal Government changes to air travel requirements


Ottawa, ON – David Anderson, Member of Parliament for Cypress Hills–Grasslands, today warned Canadians of impending changes to travel requirements for Canadian citizens, dual citizens or visitors from visa-exempt countries:


David Anderson, MP

“Canadian citizens, dual citizens, and anyone who is welcoming a foreign visitor needs to be aware of the changes the Liberals are implementing on November 10, 2016,” said Anderson.

First, effective November 10, 2016, the Government of Canada will require Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, to show proof they are Canadian to board their flight to Canada.

As of November 10, a valid Canadian passport, a Canadian temporary passport, or a Canadian emergency travel document will be the only valid proof of Canadian citizenship when attempting to board your flight to Canada. As a Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document that proves you are a citizen, you are encouraged to travel with one. For information on how to apply for a passport, visit

Second – if your citizenship is from a country whose citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada (such as the United Kingdom, France or Germany), you will be required to purchase an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly or transit through Canada as of November 10. United States citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa do not require an eTA.

An eTA is electronically-linked to travellers’ passports and is intended for short-term stays for visiting, business and tourism activities. An eTA allows border officials to check that travellers are admissible to enter Canada before they travel.

An eTA can be purchased for CAN $7 and is valid for 5 years or until the passport expires – whichever comes first. To apply for an eTA, a passport, credit card and e-mail address are required. Visit for more information or to apply for an eTA before November 10, 2016.


Helpful links: